Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Surgery, Bowling, & Roasted Pig!

I just want to say thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement and prayers. It really helps me keep my sanity through all of this :)

So, I went back to see my OB-GYN after taking some really nasty and smelly antibiotics for 10 days. Turns out it didn't get smaller. She didn't even do an ultrasound, she just felt it and could tell that it didn't go down enough to her satisfaction. I was not shocked by this because I had been feeling it over and over again for the last 10 days and knew it hadn't gotten smaller. It was weird because Saturday or Sunday I actually started noticing that it hurt a little and that it got harder to the touch. I don't know what that means??


I went to an ENT today to see what he thought we should do about it. At first he suggested going on more antibiotics, doing an ultrasound, and watching it. Then he realized that I had it for months and had already had an ultrasound done. He then decided that I will be getting a needle biopsy done next week. This will test the fluids that are in it and hopefully tell us what it is. He said it could be swollen lymphnodes from when I was sick that have just taken an extraordinarily long time to go back down, thyroid cancer, lymphoma, etc. Really he had no idea. He also decided that I should get it surgically removed the following week!! I don't know if this will change after they get results of the biopsy, but I am in the schedule so that I won't have to wait longer. He said the needle biopsy will help let them know the underlying issue, like if it's thyroid cancer, they will know that they need to do something with my thyroid and will be able to do it at the same time the lump is being removed.


We also discussed my anemia. He said for now, he doesn't think the two are related. This means that I go to yet another doctor tomorrow and he will further test other things to see what is causing the anemia, since my OB-GYN had already ruled out what the obvious factors would have been.

Doctor on the 12th. The needle biopsy on the 18th. Pre-op on the 23rd. A follow-up on some other things with my OB on the 24th. Surgery on the 25th. pheww. Did I remember them all?

Things are definitely stressful! Trying to deal with insurance changes in the middle of all this, keeping doctors appointments all straight, trying to not worry, and trying to plan getting sealed in the temple...all while trying to work and attempting to have a normal life.

Things could definitely be worse. Thankfully, my work is so easy to deal with. They have always been easy to work around schedules. I basically make my own schedule and can for leave for things when needed. I was a little worried with the economy how it is and how things would play out. They layed a guy off yesterday and had everyone cut back on their hours. My boss reassured me yesterday that I am a vital part in the company and that no matter what happens, with the economy or my health, that I will always have a job if I want it. That was a huge relief!

I am definitely worried, but know that things will work out. I am drawing strength from friends and family and they have showed me that you can still be positive in the most horrible of situations.

**In better news**
We are going bowling! We have only been once together and it was really fun, so I'm super excited. My work has a party every year about this time and for the last couple of years, we go bowling and have pizza. I'm sure it will be really fun!

We are also going to a wedding on Valentine's Day. Please excuse me while I barf! No offense to anyone, but that is way too cheesy for me! The groom is Tongan and friends with Sio, so at least the food will be really good! We are having roasted pig among many other delicious Tongan food! wahoo! We'll get to see a lot of friends from Salt Lake that we haven't seen in months and months and do some much needed catching up with everyone.

We were planning on being sealed in the Logan Temple in July. Turns out they are closed for the majority of the month for repairs. We are moving the date up to May if everything works out! We are trying to work it around when my Grandparents can be there. We really, really want them to be there. They and my parents both got married in Logan and it has always been my favorite. They are very special to both Sio and I, so cross your fingers that it all goes according to plan!

12 comments:

Kristina said...

I am really starting to adore you, cousin o' mine!!! It is very apparent to me that you are a very stong person, even during these trying things you are going through. I will continue to pray for you and all those doctors that they will figure out what is going on and get you all better! Please let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do. I know from 15 hours away there probably isn't, but I wish there was! I think bumping up your sealing to May would be fantastic! Let me know once you have a date set. :)

Heidi & Sio Latu said...

Thanks so much! May 22nd is the day of the sealing. May 16th is the endowment...if all things work out with the scheduling and stuff :)

Jen said...

Hmmm...I just had a thought. If May doesn't work out, G & G got married in June, right? And didn't your parents get married on their anniversary? A third generation could be way cool if you things don't work out for May.
Also, I wanted to let you know, I discovered a lypoma (sp?) a couple months ago. Didn't know what it was, but felt it a lot to see if it was growing or moving. When it started hurting I called the Dr., and the PA freaked out and sent me to the ER. They did tests and found out it was just the lypoma, except they're not supposed to hurt. When I asked about that, the response was "Quit playing with it!" There's always a possibility yours started hurting because you compulsively check (that is, if you really are "Monk-ish" like at least one of your cousins). :>

Jen said...

Wow - and we all do a "smiley" after our comments. Apparently I have to be different, though. :>

Heidi & Sio Latu said...

The only problem with June is that Grandma and Grumpa won't be here in June. They are coming for a reunion in Star Valley (I think) on May 25th, that's why we plan on having it then.
I actually had the doctor tell me not to touch it a lot cause it would irritate it, so I would check it, but didn't go "monk-ish" on it. It doesn't hurt unless you push it hard...so I have no idea what's going on. And what's with us having the same health problems and mental problems(a.k.a. the OCD-ness)???

:>

Janie said...

Heidi,
I am so glad that you are posting all these updates! I am very proud of you for handling things the way you are. You have my faith and continued prayers. You and Sio both have my prayers. Of course. :)
I am soooooo excited that you'll be sealed in May! You are Sio are so blessed to have each other! I love you!
Love,
Janie Gwen
:0) (I had to do the smiley face too!)

Jen said...

I would definitely agree it's better have them there!
As far as the OCD-ness, I have to seriously wonder if it's at all related to the PCOS. After all, based on my research PCOS and Diabetes are closely related. My PCOS symptoms decrease the most when I eat like a diabetic. Or, it could just be yet another thing that runs in the fam! :>

Heidi & Sio Latu said...

They are definitely related! Do you have insulin resistance? I do. And the doctors say that I'm pre-diabetic, it's all related.
The metformin that I'm on definitely helps me eat more like a diabetic. If I eat more than a little bit of sugar, it makes me so sick. So, I guess this is a good thing.
The book I read said that a lot of people with PCOS are OCD because they feel out of control with the symptoms of PCOS, so they try and control other things.
Hmm.

Kristina said...

Oh man, I have so many comments I don't even know where to start! Hey girls, shall we start our own PCOS blog?????? There are so many things involved in this and maybe it would be nice to share all the things we have read, discovered or just intuitely feel. I've been thinking about this a lot with my other site, but wasn't sure it that was the right place... Who knew that our genes would give us all such trouble, but also bring us all such wonderful family. =] (that smiley is for you Jen.) hee hee. Seriously though, I've been thinking about the PCOS blog anyway and would totally do it if I thought there was enough interest. Sorry to use your comment section with such a long blog Heidi! Maybe I should do this in email. gkethompson@verizon.net

Jen said...

I'm all for it - and if I remember right, there's more family members (with and without our genes) that have it. Although, for that, I'd prefer a private one.

Heidi & Sio Latu said...

Totally!!

Jen said...

Oh, and I was going to say - I totally agree about the whole V-day wedding issue. It's just too much. :>