Friday, January 30, 2009

Blessings and Trials

Lots of interesting things have been happening in the last week. My goodness, when it rains it pours!

Sio started the job hunt on Monday, filled out applications on Tuesday, and turned them in Wednesday. By Wednesday afternoon, he had 2 interviews scheduled. Thankfully, Thursday he was hired. He's going to be working at Miller's. Not sure if that's a step up or down from Icon, but beggers can't be choosers, right? He will actually be getting more hours, better pay, and WAY better insurance rates. We used to pay $150/month, which I thought was a way good deal. Now we'll only be paying $60/month. Score!

At the same time of all this great news, we got some not so great news. I had to go into the doctor on Wednesday for follow-up blood tests and a physical (which was 2 weeks earlier than planned since our insurance ends on the 31st). While the doctor was examining my throat, she found a lump under my jaw line, near my ear. She asked me what it was, I had no idea. I remember noticing it a few months ago, but thought nothing of it. She was worried about it and I had an ultrasound done.

After worrying like a mad woman for a day, I called the doctor to find the results. They had gotten them, but she didn't have a chance to look at them yet. The nurse tells me that "there will definitely need to be some follow up, but the doctor will look over them and give me a call". What?!?! You don't say that to a person that is already worried and not tell them what's going on! Then that gives you more ideas to think about and worry about. Geez.

After calling back twice, I finally got to talk to the doctor. They are not sure what it is yet. There is significant inflamation and swelled lymphnodes, they think. I guess normal ones are supposed to be less than 10mm and I have a clump of 3 or so that are 2cm! They are hoping that some anti-biotics will kill it. I will then go in for another ultrasound and if they haven't gotten smaller, they want to do a needle biopsy. I'm kinda freaking out. It could be anything, hopefully it's nothing.

I also found out that my iron levels are ridiculously lower than they were last time, and that is not supposed to happen. It's only been a month since I had them tested last. This means that I could be bleeding somewhere in my body or something in my body is stealing the iron from my blood. I'm on lots of iron and that will be tested in 10 days when I go back for my ultrasound. If the iron counts don't go up, more tests!!

This all came in perfect timing with Sio losing his job and us getting our insurance cut at the end of the month. I was really worried about how everything was going to be processed. There is the COBRA law that lets me continue the same coverage we had, but for $471/month! Luckily, we only have to pay that ridiculous amount for February since the waiting period for Sio's new insurance will only be a month. The best news is that they can't discriminate against pre-existing conditions, which completely saves our bacon!

The really great news is that Sio is getting the Priesthood this Sunday! I'm so excited. It puts us one step closer to the temple and I can't wait! My family is coming and we're going to have some yummy food and hang out. We haven't seen each other in a month or so, so I'm really excited.

Hopefully this lump turns out to be nothing and that everything will work out. I know the insurance switch is going to be a nightmare, but I'm just glad that I have it at a time like this after going without it for so long.

6 comments:

Shel Loney said...

I'm glad that Sio found a job but I hope your lump is nothing. That is way scary!

Allison said...

Yay for a job! Perhaps this is a mixed blessing?! I hope that the lump turns out to be nothing... I hate waiting for more information from doctors though!

Jen said...

Congrats, Sio! Sounds like you guys are being tested - you must be on the right track! :>

Anna said...

Heidi, I ran across you on Kristina's blog and I had to come check this out. Sounds like you guys are going through some rough stuff. I will keep you in my prayers. I love you. I would love to get together. DUH!!! We live in Utah now, how have we not seen eachother?

Janie said...

Dear Heidi And Sio! I found your blog from Anna's blog. I thought I'd follow along! :) I'm really sorry for all that you guys have been through. No fun! I will keep you in my most heart felt prayers. I love you guys.
Love,
Janie

Heidi & Sio Latu said...

Thanks everyone for the concern and support! The prayers are definitely needed for my sanity and anxiety!
Love you all :)